But how do you sort through and pick the right dentist?
There is no magic formula but there are 8 things you can look for in a perfect local dentist.
Start with a general family dentist, they will refer you to specialists if needed and look for the following elements.
- Does the dentist have a website that isn’t ancient?
- Dentist’s training – has the dentist trained in cosmetic dentistry or restorative dentistry?
- How long has the dentist been in practice? The longer the better, newbies need to pay back loans and are eager to fill the tiniest of early cavities “to be on the safe side”.
- Is the dentist active in any societies, does he or she attend training events or speak at events? Do they care?
- Ask if the dentist has patient comforts like complimentary nitrous oxide.
- Look for before and after photos, inspect them for airbrushing which is the sign of a charlatan.
- How does the dentist’s pricing stack up against the rest. We know how difficult it is to compare pricing between dentists but you’d be surprised.
- Finally does the dentist accept your dental plan or dental insurance?
All this will require multiple phone calls and search queries online but it will be worth it. At the end of the day you want to feel relaxed knowing your smile is in accomplished and steady hands.